Tuesday, December 2, 2008

It's Britney Bitch.

That's right. Britney Spears is back...well, she was never really gone in the first place, but now she's thirty pounds thinner and somewhat sane. She's full of surprises.

Needless to say her new album is almost exactly what I expected.

Circus, Britney's new album off of Jive Records isn't nearly as grand as a circus itself. About 50% of the album is complete filler while the other 50% is damn catchy. The first track "Womanizer" has been floating around in my head for the last three days (it's a great PMS song...the girls know what I'm talking about). The second track "Circus" is my personal favorite on the entire album. Catchy and over the top without being overtly cheesy, it will definitely make you want to dance. But next to the first two tracks, few of the other songs on the album really live up to the hype.

"Radar" is my next favorite song on the album for the exact same reason I like the other two songs: 1) It's fucking catchy. 2)It makes me want to dance. In fact, it's the only reason I like any of Spears' songs. We all know she is mediocre as a singer (the mellow songs make me cringe for that reason, though "Unusual You" actually has some heart) but the whole point of Britney Spears is to let loose and not take things so seriously. So, if you plan on downloading this album, you are either a huge fan or you're like me and you just like catchy music once in a while. "Amnesia" and "Shattered Glass" sound just like old Britney Spears. It was refreshing to hear songs that resonated the time before she was over-sexed. "Lace and Leather" is a catchy little rock riff (the bass guitar at the beginning suckered me in. I love bass guitar on it's own).

The filler is the killer (God, I'm terrible) just like on any other pop album these days and there's quite a bit on this album. The songs "Blur" and "Out From Under" lack any real creativity and "Mmm Papi" is sheer cheese, with its sexualized lyrics.

The one aspect of the album I genuinely enjoy is the trance and techno elements added into a few of the songs, which is quite different from most of her past albums. The album as a whole is mediocre, but there are some tracks that really shine.

Britney Spears knows what she's doing and she does it well.

Songs to Download:
Womanizer
Circus
If U Seek Amy
Shattered Glass
Unusual You
Lace and Leather
Radar
Rock Me In
Amnesia

No comments: