Sunday, May 3, 2009

America Goes Gaga


After a decade of Britney Spears and George W. Bush, America can finally dance unashamedly to the retro dance beats of Lady Gaga.

Finally, no more pop songs with little creativity or innovation, no more mediocre to terrible singers, and no more LIP-SYNCHING.  Praise Jesus.  Actually, praise Gaga.  I know that most people are sick of hearing about this chick, but I've noticed that some say Gaga is talentless and mediocre.  I am hear to vehemently prove the exact opposite, probably with harshness, sarcasm and a hefty dose of insults.  

Lady Gaga, a New York native born and raised, happens to be, in my humble opinion, one of the most talented female pop stars to come out in the last decade next to Beyonce and Christina.  But even then, Gaga does more than both Beyonce and Christina combined.  Sure, both are superior singers.  But let's be honest: Christina's last album was mediocre at best.  I like Beyonce of course, but her music is much more R and B than pop so I can't truly consider her a pop artist.  

Gaga on the other hand is the epitome of what pop is and should be.  Over-the-top lyrics, over-the-top choreography...hell, just over-the-top in general.  Her lyrics are cheeky, sexual and yet have something to say.  Her music is actually well-prepared, not a couple of synthesizers thrown together after a long night of partying.  She brings back the era of disco-glamour and Freddie Mercury.  And Gaga herself absolutely permeates pop, from the outlandish outfits to the platinum blonde hair.  

Yet the woman is a musician and an artist.  She is an exceptional singer.  She writes all of her own music.  She choreographs her own shows and makes her own stage outfits.  She does all the creative direction for her music videos.  Her live shows are entertaining without becoming a freakshow (sorry Britney).  Basically, she's everything we've been waiting for after years of shallow, over-produced shit.  She creates music, not product.  She actually has something to say and won't allow anyone else to say it for her. 

To all those out there who want to say she is talentless, let me remind you that you are probably in my generation and therefore do not know what good pop music is because, like me, you have been brainwashed to believe that good pop "Oops, I Did it Again" or "Single Ladies".  Please.  Take it from someone who has a strong, creepy affinity for the past: Lady Gaga is good pop.  This is a time of crisis people, let's not add to the chaos and bring down the only good thing to happen in this country for the last ten years, eh? 

Granted, she is VERY theatrical and some people just can't handle that.  I on the other hand, crave theatricality in mainstream music.  I adore it and if I ever were to create my own music, you can bet that it would probably scare your undies right off your ass.  For a musicologist-in-training such as me, she is a wet dream.  

Sorry Britney, but a new girl has my heart and her name is Lady Gaga.

No comments: